Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vanilla Almond Strawberry Trifle

This recipe is simple and perfect for the season!! I went to the Farmer's Market today at Phoenix Park in Eau Claire and could not pass up the fresh picked strawberries and figured I could use them in tonight's dinner dessert.

So, the recipe was made mostly on a whim because I wanted something relatively easy to put together, I wanted to use my strawberries and I didn't want to do strawberry shortcake (because someone did that a few weeks back). I decided to make a trifle, even though I realized it wouldn't look nearly as wonderful as it could because I don't have the proper "trifle" dish here at school.

1 pound cake (I made mine from a box and followed the given directions and added almond extract and 1/2 stick butter), cut into cubes
1 box (small) vanilla pudding, prepared
1 quart strawberries, sliced
1 large container cool whip

Bake pound cake and allow it to cool completely. After pound cake is cooled, cut into cubes. Depending on the size of your dish, your layers will vary. I used a 9x13 glass cake pan so I only had 2 layers. Layer pound cake, pudding (more of a drizzle rather than a solid layer), strawberries and cool whip. Repeat as necessary. Top with a solid layer of cool whip and accent with strawberries.

No comments: