Monday, July 6, 2009

Homemade Egg Rolls

Last week Lucas and I made Homemade Egg Rolls for our dinner group. I was a little apprehensive at first because they seemed like a lot of work but, it turns out they really weren't much more work than any other dinner and, we decided it totally paid off because they were VERY delicious! If you like egg rolls, you absolutely have to try these! I made the recipe up on my own, I just looked at several recipes to decide how exactly I should go about make them.

I made a portion of the egg rolls vegetarian for our non-carnivorous friends (I added the meat after rolling up theirs and made sure to fry theirs first).


Homemade Egg Rolls

1 head cabbage
1/2 onion
2-3 green onions
bean sprouts (I was planning on using a package of fresh bean sprouts but the grocery store was out so I settled for a can of them)
3-4 carrots
1 can water chestnuts
pork sausage
a splash of olive oil, soy sauce and hot sauce
2 packages of egg roll wrappers
canola oil for deep frying

Chop/slice all vegetables and add to olive oil, soy sauce and hot sauce. Cook on medium heat until cabbage is tender. Add cooked pork sausage. Half way through cooking vegetables, begin heating the oil in a deep pan for deep frying. Allow vegetable mix to cool a bit so you are able to work with mix to prepare egg rolls. Prepare egg rolls as demonstrated on egg roll wrapper package and deep fry. Serve with sweet and sour sauce if desired.


This recipe made more than plenty egg rolls for our dinner group of 9 people. I served the egg rolls with fried rice and sugar snap peas and our dessert was the trifle that can be found a few recipes below. :) Happy egg roll rolling!

No comments: