Friday, November 26, 2010

Slow Cooked Turkey Breast.

This year I wasn't sure if my husband would make it to the family Thanksgiving feast so I decided our anniversary supper (this year falling the day before Thanksgiving) would be a  feast of our own.  I was up to the challenge - both of cooking the meal and eating the meal (two days of Thanksgiving in a row? ok!)

Where I come from turkey is boneless and skinless (my mom says this isn't true, but it seems to be the only thing that ever makes its way into my home... intentionality).  I knew I was at risk for a dry and tasteless turkey by going the boneless, skinless breast route, but I was bound to prove wrong.  Brine?  I did a bunch of research and that seemed to be the answer to not having dry turkey. 

Timing was another important factor.  I had the day off of work so it was easy to find time to make the jello and cranberry citrus relish.  I was able to put together the green bean casserole and get the potatoes prepared for boiling.  I decided to cheat on the stuffing so there was time for that...but I would be helping my husband on the farm during the prime "putting the meat in the oven time" so that we can eat and still make it to Thanksgiving mass on time.  Slow cooker?  This seemed to be the answer.

The result?  Sooo delicious.  Better than I would have ever guessed!


Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
(recipe by me after reading lots and lots and lots of recipes)
3-5 pounds brined (see below) turkey breast meat (skinless & boneless)
3 stalks celery (chopped)
1 apple (chopped with seeds removed)
1/2 can chicken broth
3 teaspoons dried garlic
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
(combined all seasonings for use)

Brine
1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
6 cups cold water
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme

Dissolve the salt and sugar into the water.  Add rosemary and thyme.  Place turkey breast into water - ensuring all meat is covered.  Brine overnight or 8-10 hours.

Place chicken broth, celery, and apple in the bottom of a small slow cooker.  Remove each turkey breast from brine, rinse with water, pat dry, rub with olive oil and seasoning.  Place turkey is slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6 hours.

Serve turkey breast without the apple and celery (mine just turned to mush and I really only used them to get another level of flavor in the final product).

You will be amazed at how tasteful and juicy the turkey is!





No comments: