Sunday, November 28, 2010

Apple Bean Bake

It seems as though whenever an exam or assignment is due I tend to shift my focus to baking and cooking instead. Therefore, with an exam this coming Monday, rather than studying I have spent the last hour sorting through and debating on which of the many recipes I want to post. (Holly - there are a few you may still want me to share!) After asking for my husbands input the conclusion was to share the infamous APPLE BEAN BAKE. This is a recipe from my Aunt Nina who has been one of many to help provide me with so many simple, quick and tasty recipes these last 2 years of nursing school in order to keep my husband and my tummy satisfied! I do apologize I have no picture to go with this, but am now craving it so if I bake it this week I will see if Holly can add a photo for me!!!

APPLE BEAN BAKE:
1 can Randall Beans (48oz) - DO NOT drain - can be found at Piggly Wiggly/Walmart
3 cups sliced Granny Smith apples
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon salt
6 slices of bacon (or more if you LOVE bacon like I do!)

1. In skillet melt butter. Add apples and cook until tender

2. Add brown and white sugar, stirring until sugar is melted

3. Stir in cinnamon, salt, ketchup and molasses

4. Add beans and mix well, then set mixture aside

5. Cut bacon into small pieces and fry (or fry and then break into pieces - whichever you prefer)

6. Add bacon to apple mixture and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish - (If you'd like and the smell is too good to avoid, scoop a few teaspoonfuls out for tasting - but it may make you go crazy waiting for it to bake the next hour!)

7. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 1 hour - (I place a few pieces of foil under the dish incase the juices bubble over)

8. Scoop and enjoy! Tastes great the next day reheated or cold

2 comments:

Barb said...

My husband would love this it has all his favorites in beans and bacon and its sweet! Thanks for sharing Michelle:)

Holly. said...

Just bought the beans! Must eat up a few leftovers before making, but I'm excites to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.