Sunday, November 14, 2010

Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole.

I picked up some fresh cabbage from a farmer's stand with ideas of making coleslaw.  Once I got home I realized I had way more cabbage than I actually needed for said coleslaw.  The thought of cabbage roles was enticing, but I knew my husband would not be impressed and honestly it just seemed like a lot of work.  My alternative?  Unstuffed Cabbage.


Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
(adapted from Taste of Home)
6 cups cabbage (chopped)
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion (chopped)
1 medium green pepper (chopped)
1 cup uncooked instant rice
1 cup water
2 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 quart diced tomatoes
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic

Brown beef with onion and green pepper over medium heat until beef is cooked through.  Transfer to a large slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. 



I know the list of ingredients is long, but this does go together quickly.  It can be used as a main dish or a sidedish.  I suggest serving it as the main course with a side of fresh bread.  Nothing beats a side of fresh bread - especially when it's still warm from baking!


1 comment:

Kate Botwinski said...

This is so cute! The recipe, the photos, the blog wallpaper, etc. :) I hate cooking but it's just because I'm lazy. I WANT to try this out! It sounds pretty easy. :) Thanks Holly.