Sunday, January 30, 2011

Garlic Knots.

Success.  Finally.  At what you wonder...

Homemade Buns.  Or, in this case, "knots."  Ever since I began dabbling in homemade breads I've tried to success at making buns or rolls or any other type of bread-like product in an individual size.  And now that we only eat homemade bread I figured it's time to nail down the bun-making so that I don't have to buy those at the store anymore either.


And then I was over at Made in Melissa's Kitchen and couldn't turn down an attempt to reproduce her Garlic Knots.  I enlisted the help of my cousin and we went to work making the dough with the bread machine and then forming, rising, and baking the knots.

Garlic Knots
(Recipe from Made in Melissa's Kitchen.  Slightly Adapted by Me.)
Dough:
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
1¼ teaspoon salt
tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water

Topping:
2 teaspoons dried garlic
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon melted butter

Place dough ingredients in bread machine - adding liquid ingredients first and then adding the dry ones.  Be sure that yeast does not come in contact with liquid ingredients when adding to the bread machine.  Turn bread machine to dough setting and wait.

Once dough is ready, divide into 12 equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a "rope" and tie the dough into a knot.  Tuck ends into the center.  Place on a baking sheet and cover with a towel.  Allow to rise for about 45 minutes.  Combine topping ingredients and brush on prepared knots.  Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly browned in a 350 degree oven.  Serve warm or cool.  Mine kept in a bag on the counter top for about a week.


The results were perfect homemade rolls.  First served as a warm treat right from the oven.  And then as a side to our soup.  And later as sandwich to our hamburgers.  They are so easy and tasty that I've made them on three different occasions now.  


2 comments:

Julie Schooley said...

these look awesome! I really need to start making breads!

Nicole said...

Well these certainly look wonderful! How I love bread. I think I need to get a bread machine.