Sunday, January 9, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Granola Bread.

Yes, the apple theme continues...

The first time reading though my new bread cookbooks, I bent the corner over on the page for Apple Cinnamon Granola Bread to indicate a bread I wanted to make sooner than later.  I was intrigued with using apples in a yeast bread as previously all apple breads I've seen were quick breads.  Plus I haven't made a loaf of cinnamon bread in a long time and I thought this might make up for it - especially since it would be coming out of the oven when my husband and father-in-law came in for lunch.  Really, what's not to love about a slice of warm homemade bread on a cold winter's day?

Apple Cinnamon Granola Bread.
Adapted from Prairie Home Breads

1 cup water (room temperature)
1/4 cup milk
1 cup chunky applesauce (I used the chunky applesauce we froze last fall)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups whole flour
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon wheat gluten
3/4 cup granola
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine bowl in the order listed above.  When placing the yeast in the bowl form a small well in the flour to dump it in.  Set bread machine to dough setting and let the machine do the work!   Punch dough down and place in a greased bread pan.  Allow to rise for 1 hour (or until doubled in size) and then bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.

That is just how easy homemade bread making can be.  Very little hands on time when using the bread machine with the results matching that of having played around with the dough all morning!


The end result is a slightly sweet bread with a touch of cinnamon and bit of crunch from the granola.  We ate it fresh from the oven (heaven) as well as a toasted for a couple days later (still delicious!).  This was a nice break from my stand-by honey oat bread.

No comments: