Thursday, August 27, 2009

Spiced Zucchini Cakes.

With the cool summer we have had and the weekend forecast indicating highs in the low 60s I have been thinking about fall. Apple, pumpkin, carrot, and delicious spices! Yum.

Browsing Tastespotting I came across a recipe for zucchini spice cupcakes. Perfect - I could use up some more zucchini from my garden and have a little taste of "fall."

Spiced Zucchini Cakes
(similar, but not the exact same as these)

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

¼ teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups packed dark brown sugar (but you could use light)

3 cups packed grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners (I ended up with about 32 cupcakes). Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. In another bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add brown sugar - mix until smooth. Stir in zucchini, then add flour mixture until combined.

Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for about 20 minutes (until center comes out clean). Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting! Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and enjoy!

End result? Fabulous! I really enjoyed these as did Gary (I think he ate 4 of them yesterday and already had 1 this morning).

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yum! Sound so awesome. I just made a chocolate zucchini cake that was soooo good. I want more right now. I suppose I should go buy some more zucchini to freeze so I can make it anytime.