Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rice & Pork Chop Bake.


Though I don't eat most pork, boneless pork chops are a favorite of mine.  But only prepared in the manner of Milwaukee Pork Chops, plain chops cooked on the stove top, pork chops with apple, or this baked dish.  I prefer they not be breaded.  Less is more.


I had picked up a large package of chops the other day and opted to cook two up on the stove top.  We ate them with some fresh veggies and applesauce.  As I thought about what I wanted to do with the rest of the package I faintly remember a dish my mom made during my childhood.  We've had unseasonably cold weather in Wisconsin this spring and the though of a pipping hot supper straight from the oven was all it took for me to start preparing the Rice & Pork Chop Bake.



Rice & Pork Chop Bake.
(Recipe Inspired by Mom)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup mixed rice rice
2 tsp thyme
4 pork chops
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup sliced onions
salt and pepper

Brown pork chops for a few minutes per side.  In a large and fairly flat casserole dish (or 9x13 baking dish), combine the soup, water, rice, thyme, onion, mushroom.  Place browned pork chops on top. Cover and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Let stand a few minutes before serv
ing.



For those of you in Wisconsin, it looks like we'll be having some more cool days...take advantage of this and start up those ovens!  One of these days we won't want to turn the ovens on anymore.  


2 comments:

Sarah said...

what kind of rice is it? thanx ;)

Holly. said...

I used a pre-flavored mix of white and black, but have also made with regular white rice. :)