Sunday, February 20, 2011

Italian Delight.


I've had this recipe for some time now and finally made it a priority to make it.  And make it I did.  I went to work browning the meat, combining the ingredients, topping with cheese, and covering with foil so that I could bake the dish while away at church.  As I slide my deep dish 9x13 cast iron pan toward me...the next thing I know my knee is throbbing and my casserole is all over the floor.  Fail.

After ensuring that I was OK my husband proceeded to scoop the casserole back in the dish...five second rule, right?  I was disgusted...  Fortunately (or unfortunately) my floor was clean and our only dinner guest was there when the accident happen and was fine with the hubby's save.

I'm glad he saved it.  Aside from having to re-fill the casserole and the extra cleaning this recipe comes together quick and tastes great!


Italian Delight.
(Recipe Adapted from Michelle)
2 cups noodles (cooked according to package directions)
3/4 pound ground beef (browned and drained)
3/4 pound ground pork (browned and drained)
1 small onion (diced and cooked with the meat)
2 cups frozen sweet corn
3 small cans of tomato soup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon italian herbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 large package velvetta cheese (cut into thin slices)

In a large bowl, combine noodles, beef/pork/onion mixture, sweet corn, tomato soup, sugar, garlic, pepper, and salt.  Transfer mixture into a deep 9x13 or larger baking dish.  Top evenly with slices of velvetta cheese.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.  Remove from the oven and use a spatula to spread cheese over entire surface area.  Serve!


My husband has already asked that I make this again. If you've been reading the blog for any time now you know that it's a good recipe when he requests it again.  :) Thank you, Michelle, for sharing!

No comments: