Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie.

Growing up we would periodically get to have a "picnic" in the living room and watch a movie during dinner. It was usually for The Wizard of Oz during lent, but I'm sure it happened more often than that.  These "picnics" remind me of chicken pot pie.  And since I still needed to create one more meal from one of my cookbooks I sought out on a mission to find a recipe for chicken pot pie.



Chicken Pot Pie.
(Adapted from Gooseberry Patch Harvest Kitchen)


3 chicken breasts (cooked and cut into chunks or shredded)
1 small can cream of chicken soup
1 small can cream of mushroom soup
3 cups fresh or frozen vegetables (I used fresh carrots, frozen peas, frozen corn, and frozen green beans)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup soft butter
double pie crust (sorry, mine was store bought...ugh!  i know!)

Mix all ingredients (with the exception of the pie crust).  Place one of your pie crusts into the bottom of a pie pan.  Top with chicken mixture and remaining pie crust.  Use a fork to poke holes into the top pie crust.  Bake for 45 minutes (or until crust is golden) in a 350 degree oven.



Easy?  Yes!  Tasty?  Yes!  Definitely a keeper!  The only thing that I might change next time is making individual servings.  Serving it was messy and I think ramekin-sized servings would eliminate the messiness and keep it contained to each ramekin.

No comments: