Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chicken Tertrazzini.


Now that February is well under way I figured it was time to get out a cookbook and find a new recipe so that I can keep up on my New Year's Resolution.  This time I went right to my Church Cookbook.  You know the one: church forms committee, committee requests recipes from parishioners, parishioners share beloved recipes, church publishes cookbook, church raises money, parishioners enjoy each other's recipes.  And enjoy we did!

Over the weekend I cooked up some chicken breasts - knowing that I had more chicken than what I needed for planned meals and superbowl snacks.  That being said, when I went to the cookbook I immediately searched for recipes that involved chunked or shredded chicken.  That's when I found chicken tetrazzini!


Chicken Tertrazzini.
(Recipe Adapted from Local Church Cookbook)
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
1 small onion (chopped)
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
7 ounces spaghetti
2 cups shredded chicken breast

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add mushrooms and onions.  Saute for about 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates.  Stir in flour.  Gradually add chicken broth, milk, and cream cheese.  Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in half of the parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.  Set aside.  Break spaghetti in half.  Cook and drain according to package directions.  Stir spaghetti and chicken into the mushroom mixture.  Spoon into a deep 3-quart casserole.  Sprinkle will remaining parmesan cheese.  Cover and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.


We were extremely happy with this recipe.  I am usually not a creamy sauce type of person, but this simple sauce had great taste and worked well with the fresh mushrooms and chopped onion.  It does require a little stove time, but it's time well spent.  Enjoy!

No comments: