These are something new I tried, and let me tell you, so rich and delicious (everything a christmas treat should be): Chocolate-Mint Truffle Cookies (from Taste of Home)
- 32 Servings
- Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (4.6 ounces) mint Andes candies, chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips (I only used Chocolate Chips)
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts, sprinkles and crushed candy canes
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Remove from the heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in the egg, sugars and extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir into chocolate mixture. Fold in 3/4 cup Andes candies.
- Roll rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until tops appear slightly dry. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt 1 teaspoon shortening and remaining chocolate chips and Andes candies; stir until smooth. Melt vanilla chips and remaining shortening in a microwave; stir until smooth.
- Dip half of the cookies in melted chocolate mixture; dip remaining cookies in melted vanilla mixture. Immediately sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
And second, one of my personal favorites; its almost got a cake consistency, but has the perfect combination of tart and sweet. Cranberry Orange Cookies:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until well blended. Mix in 1 teaspoon orange zest and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the orange mixture. Mix in cranberries until evenly distributed. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be spaced at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, 3 tablespoons orange juice and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over the tops of cooled cookies. Let stand until set. Makes 4 Dozen.