Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cream Cheese Cut Out Cookies

Our neighbor (Jean) makes the BEST cream cheese cookies ever, but they aren't a cutout recipe, and I really wanted to make cute, Halloween cutouts... so, I found this recipe in one of Holly's Christmas Cookie Cookbook/Magazine and tried it out. They turned out cute, and were pretty good, but I'll search for an even better one or perform a little "test kitchen" on my own! :) Enjoy!


Cream Cheese Cut Out Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Combine butter and cream cheese. Beat with an electronic mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out images.

Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Tran sfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.

2 comments:

Holly. said...

I wouldn't change them - I thought they were pretty good just as you made them!

Nicole said...

AWW, so cute!! Sometimes I think I like halloween cut out cookies better than christmas cut outs. I want some right now!