Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kaiser-Style Goulash.


My Minnesotan friend Ashley first introduced me to the word goulash. She referred to my casserole as goulash. Minnesota readers, is goulash one of your words, or was it just an Ashley word? Either way, I've since decided that the word goulash sounds better, so I now call this goulash. And, to give credit to my dad's family and the fact that this dish is often seen on the buffet table, I will call this "Kaiser-Style Goulash."

I figured if I was going to post about goulash I should actually know what it is. According to Wikipedia, goulash is a dish, originally from Hungary, a stew or a soup, usually made of beef, red onions, vegetables, spices and ground paprika powder.[1] The name originates from the Hungarian gulyás (pronounced goo-yash listen (help·info)), the word for a cattle stockman or herdsman.

Seems somewhat fitting:
There's beef in my recipe. And corn, that's a vegetable. It even contains spices.
Then there is the origin of "cattle stockman" or "herdsman" - very fitting considering my family history of farming!

So, without further ado:

Kaiser-Style Goulash
  • 1 pound of ground beef (browned)


  • 1 can of pizza sauce


  • 1 can of spaghetti o's


  • 1 can of tomato soup


  • 1/2 package of noodles (cooked according to package directions)


  • 1-2 cups of frozen or canned corn


  • 1/2 stick of butter (or to taste)


  • 1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)


  • pepper (to taste)


  • oregano (to taste)

Combine all ingredients and cook for several hours in a slow cooker. Or, if in a bigger hurry, bake in the oven until heated through. I adjust the butter, sugar, pepper, and oregano to my taste each time I make this.

And, as with the Tator Tot Casserole, this is also welcome with fresh, warm bread! Speaking of bread - mine smells WONDERFUL - just 10 minutes left!!

4 comments:

Heidi Marie said...

Looks delicious! :)

Nicole said...

I think everyone's goulash is different and thats what makes it great! I want some now. Gall I always come here hungry.

angie said...

i love this kind of comfort food! as a minnesotan, i'd like to say i never refer to this as goulash, but i know what goulash is. :) in our family, we mostly say hotdish, but my mom's "famous" recipe is called "schmuck." yep. "schmuck." it's better than it sounds.

Barb said...

Hey Missy, that sounds alot like "Great-Grandma's" Pizza Hotdish!