Tuesday, April 28, 2009

JOYful Pancakes.

Baker extraordinaire, Joy the Baker, recently shared a recipe for Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes. These little gems are amazing! She posted them on the 17th; today is the 28th and I've already made them twice.
Below is Joy's recipe with commentary on how I added my personal touch to the pancakes.

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
makes loads of pancakes, enough for four people
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
heaping 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar (if you like sweet, go with 2 HEAPING tablespoons)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
healthy pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
2 cups buttermilk (once I used "sour milk" - milk with lemon juice; second time I used buttermilk...I think either will do just fine!)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (in my sweet madness I used 2 tablespoons)
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins (I opted for no raisins, but plan to incorporate my homemade chunky applesauce the next time I make these. I am also considering adding blueberries or craisins. I also have an urge to put some butterscotch chips in there, but that might make them too sweet??)
oil or cooking spray (for cooking)
Step 1: In a large bowl beat eggs. Add buttermilk, butter , maple syrup and vanilla and mix well. Add flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix well until mostly smooth. Fold in raisins and let batter set for a few minutes.
Step 2: Heat griddle or pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil to the pan or spray with cooking spray. You can test to see if the pan is hot enough by adding a few drops of water, when the drops start to dance its hot enough.
Step 3: Pour 2 Tablespoons of batter onto the griddle. Cook on the first side until bubbles that form start to pop. You can also gently lift up the pancake to make sure the bottom is not overcooking, if it is the pan may be too hot and you will need to adjust the heat. Flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook until golden brown. Repeat until all the batter is gone.
Let cooked pancakes rest on a heat proof plate in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.


2 comments:

Heidi Marie said...

These are really tasty.
Also, if you have leftovers, use them as your "bread" in a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. :) I may sound odd, but it's delicious!

Barb said...

We had these for breakfast today and Dad, yes Dad said they aren't to bad soooooo that means I can make them again!!! Very good!