Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pizza Soup.

I welcome the early spring that we are experiencing with open arms. I enjoy the above normal temperatures and the sun's heat.

BUT I must admit that yesterday I woke up excited for a sunny yet cool temperatured day with a sharp north wind! You see, about a month ago Gary and I attended a soup dinner at Heidi's place of employment. It was a fundraiser with well over 15 varieties of soup! I opted for the pizza soup and ever since I have wanted to make it for myself and share the recipe with you!

Please make this soup soon. I am sure there will be at least one more chilly day for you to enjoy this really good soup. Do. Not. Wait. Until. Fall. Seriously. You will wish you hadn't!

Pizza Soup
[recipe adapted from that of Heidi's co-worker]

1 1/2 quart water
2 4-ounce cans of mushrooms
1/2 onion (chopped)
2 15-ounce cans pizza sauce
1 quart crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped pepperoni
1 pound cooked ground Italian sausage
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
mozzarella/cheddar cheese mixture

Combine all ingredients (except cheese) into a soup kettle. Cook until onions and mushrooms are tender. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in grated parmesan cheese.


Serve topped with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese mix - with a side of homemade garlic bread and your family will love you.

And if you like green peppers - add 'em! Canadian Bacon, yes, please! Customize this soup to match that of your favorite pizza!

No comments: