Sunday, April 11, 2010

Barley Asparagus "Not Really Risotto" Risotto.

I have had an interest in risotto recipes for some time now, but my husband dislikes rice. And since I had not eaten risotto before I hated to be stuck with something that only I would eat.

Then I came upon a "risotto" recipe that uses barley rather than rice. I knew I was in luck! Andlucky I was! The flavor of the "risotto" blended perfectly with the asparagus that is in season. AND I got use some of the chives from my garden. First garden product of the year!!


Barley Asparagus "Not Really Risotto" Risotto.
(Adapted from Weight Watchers)
2 tablespoons dried onion
1 cup uncooked barley (quick-cooking pearl variety)
2 cups chicken broth
1 bunch asparagus (trimmed and cut into pieces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated asiago cheese

Place onion, barley, and broth in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cut for about 15 minutes. Add asparagus and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in chives and vinegar. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve warm.


Pretty easy and pretty tasty!! This dish would make a light lunch or a great side dish to add to your supper table.

Since I changed up the recipe (thus altering the points) I do not want to lead people astray. BUT, if you are interested in the WW version (including points) - please contact me.


No comments: