Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hearty Tortellini Soup.

No picture today. Soup is hard to photograph! If you have any tips, please share.

This soup was awesome for two reasons - it allowed me to use up some bratwurst we had leftover from out latest "grill out" and it tasted great!

Hearty Tortellini Soup
Adapted from Taste of Home
6 brats (could use pre-cooked, cook just for the purpose, or use leftovers)
1 quart water
2 quarts italian-seasoned tomatoes
1 packet lipton onion soup mix combined with one cup water
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 cup frozen cut carrots
1 cup dried spinach (I had some dried from last summer's garden. You could also use fresh or omit altogether)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp garlic
2 cups cheese tortellini (prepared according to package directions)

Cut brats in bite-size pieces. Place in soup kettle with all other ingredients except tortellini. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and add tortellini.

Then enjoy.

You must keep in mind that I am not a huge soup-person, but I thought this soup was delicious. I ate it for lunch almost every day this week. I even made my aunt eat some and she said it was good. My husband and his farmer intern also liked it. Make it; you'll like it!

No comments: