Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mint Ice Cream Cake

With the extremely hot weather we've been having lately, I decided to attempt an ice cream cake for our dinner group. I was a little leery to do so because I'm a HUGE fan of Dairy Queen ice cream cakes and I just wasn't sure if this would measure up. But... according to all but one review it did! The reviewer who didn't agree didn't necessarily disagree... Lucas just told me that because it was mint it was hard to compare because we haven't had a mint one from Dairy Queen. So, the next attempt will be to try and beat (or tie) the original Dairy Queen ice cream cake. :)

But, for now, I will share with you the Mint Ice Cream Cake that was made up entirely by me, so... as usual... not many exact measurements. Sorry!

Ice Cream -- whatever size comes in the rectangular box shape (2 pints maybe?) I used a combination of vanilla and chocolate chip ice cream.
Creme de Menthe Syrup, about 1/3 cup or to taste -- I got this from the ice cream topping aisle.
Oreo Cookie Pie Crust
Hot Fudge, about 3/4 jar
Mint Oreos, about 1 1/2 rows, crushed

Melt the ice cream to the point it can be easily stirred and add the Creme d Menthe Syrup. Spread a layer of hot fudge on bottom of Oreo crust. Top with 1/2 the ice cream mixture. Freeze for approximately 2 hours. Remove from freezer and add a layer of crushed Mint Oreos. Top with hot fudge (do not heat up, just spread the best you can). Top with remaining ice cream and then add remaining crushed Oreos on top. Freeze 2-4 hours or preferably overnight. Serve and enjoy! ;)

Comment:
You could easily just use Mint Chip Ice Cream rather than mess with adding the syrup to vanilla ice cream. :)

1 comment:

Risa said...

I love Dairy Queen Ice Cream cakes!!! This sounds great.