Saturday, October 15, 2011

Grilled Butternut Squash Pizza.

Our garden produced lots and lots of butternut squash this past growing season.  So many, in fact, that they killed off my pepper and pea plants, smoothered my cucumbers, and threatened the basil.  Fast forward to the actual harvest season...turns out there was even more squash that I could see previously.  That means way too much butternut squash.


And now I'm faced with using all that squash.  And, really, what better way to use some than on pizza!?  Not only did I get to take advantage of using a squash with this recipe, but I also grilled a pizza.  This is something that I've had on my "do to" list for way too long.

Grilled Butternut Squash Pizza.
(Recipe Adapted from The Kitchen Illiterate)
1 pizza crust (I made my own)
1/2 butternut squash (peeled and cut into small squares...I ended up with 3 cups)
1 tablespoon garlic infusion grape seed oil (or olive oil)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded)
1 lb onions (caramelized - following a recipe such as this)
4 slices bacon (prepared)

Toss squash with oil and seasonings.  Roast in a 550 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, and mash with a fork.  Evenly spread the squash oven pizza crust and then cover with 1 cup cheese.  Distribute onions and bacon evenly on top of that.  Finally sprinkle remaining cheese and cook on a charcoal grill.


Soooo...I'm not an expert nor do I really even know how to grill a pizza.  For best results you may want to google it and secure a gas grill.  We used charcoal and the crust burnt to a crisp.  So much so that I peeled the bottom of some of the pieces :)

In my case I had my husband grill both sides of the crust...just a couple minutes on each side and then I prepared the pizza and we returned it to the grill for about 7 minutes...the cheese did not melt as much as I would have liked...but it was still melty and delicious!  (This may not be an issue with a gas grill...remember my crust was black and crispy in less than 7 minutes!!)

And if you are not up for grilling a pizza, I recommend making this pizza in the oven!  And I know that it turned out good because my husband had seconds.  He only does this with things he really likes!

No comments: