Sunday, July 31, 2011

Quick Zucchini Quiche.


I know that I already have several zucchini/egg type dishes posted, but this one is too good not to add to the collection.  Besides that, my husband planted to me 4 zucchini hills that are about to explode with zucchini.  Before long every meal we eat will contain zucchini or have it served as a side dish or dessert.  And guess what: I'm excited!

This dish came about because I had a pre-baked pie crust sitting around from a pie-making session a while ago.  I was tired of moving the crust from one spot to another.  It was time to use it!  I also had zucchini in the fridge that was reaching it's use it or lose it point.  This also needed to come together fairly quickly as I was making it into between morning chores and nap time.



Quick Zucchini Quiche.
(Recipe by Me)
1 small serving pre-baked pie crust (I had prepared my pie crust in a oven safe deep plate that serves 4)
1 small zucchini (cut into thin slices)
1/4 lb pork sausage
1 tablespoon dried onion (could also cut up a raw onion...I didn't have any in the house at the time)
1/2 small tomato (chopped)
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
salt/pepper to taste
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)

In a medium to large frying pan, cook pork sausage over medium heat.  Add zucchini, onion, tomato and continue cooking.  In a separate bowl beat the egg and milk.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Pour into the sausage/zucchini mixture and cook eggs until eggs are about half done.  Transfer sausage/zucchini/egg mixture into pie crust. Top with cheeses and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs set up.  Allow to cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

Again, this was really good and cooking the eggs part way on the stove top cuts down quite a bit on the amount of time it takes to get this on your breakfast table.

No comments: