Monday, May 3, 2010

Rhubarb Ice Cream.

Another recipe that I found about a month ago that I have been waiting to make!

I loved that this ice cream did not involve eggs or a lengthly cooking process. It went together very quickly and tasted delicious! It was a sweet reminder of the rhubarb sauce that Gary and I make each year. A favorite recipe passed down from Gary's grandmother.

The ice cream was not overly sweet - I bet it would taste even more phenomenal had I used the recommended cherry blossom extract or rose water. I might need to make an online purchase to get one or both of these products!!


Rhubarb Ice Cream
(recipe adapted from Not Without Salt)
3 1/2 cups rhubarb (cut into chunks)
1/2 stick butter
Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk

Combine the rhubarb, butter, vanilla extract, seeds of vanilla bean, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Cook (covered) over medium heat until rhubarb is soft (about 15 minutes). Break up rhubarb. Allow mixture to cool slightly. Add heavy cream and milk. Mix well. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to completely cool down the mixture. Once cooled, prepare ice cream as directed by your ice cream machine's directions.

No comments: