Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tomato Basil & Asiago Bread.


In addition to my normal bread baking (whole wheat) this weekend I tomato basil & asiago bread! I came across a similar recipe when "reading" cookbooks at my sister-in-law's place a month ago. And now that I have my flavors down I am happy to share!

Tomato Basil & Asiago Bread
Yields 2 loaves

5 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 cup tomato juice
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil

I need you to know that I cheat when I make my bread. I use my bread machine for the dough and then allow to rise in a traditional bread pan and bake in the oven...

Prepare dough. Divide into two loaves, place in greased bread pans, and allow to rise until doubled (about an hour). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Remove from bread pan immediately, allow to cool, and enjoy!!


I highly recommend using asiago cheese. Parmesan could also be used, but I think the asiago gives the bread a little more ping. This bread is delicious toasted with some garlic butter.

No comments: